Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Update from South Africa

So I left yall off after surfing I think. This was where the dreaded midterms came in. We had a test in History and Language, then we wrote and essay on why linguistic and cultural diversity is important in the world, an english personal narritive and a really cool science prodject. All of us had a great time making up national parks, inventing endangered species and creating a board of directors for parks that we created for our science mid term. My national park was Lacigam and full of magical creatures I made up haha.

Then we went backpacking for a two night hike (we all wish it was longer) through Tstsikama national park. It was beautiful and relazing and we got to eat the most delicious dark chocolate coconut marshmellow smores EVER! We hiked a total of 23 or so kilometers and spent each night in a lodge, totally cushy compared to last semester haha. Some of us slept outside the whole time thought because the stars were so beautiful and bright. Since then we have done some classes and have been making our way down the coast in our big blue truck to Cape Town. We are all so excited for Cape Town to be living with out host families. My host parents Myrna and Oscar and I got to talk to them for only a few minutes but me and KD my partner for homestays are excited to live in a house with a bed instead of a tent for a week. Also everyone is stoked for the service prodject that we are performing in Cape Town which I'll tell ya more about later because I'm not quite sure what it is yet.

Today we are in Hermanaus which is a cute beach town. Yesterday night we went our to dinnner! Its actually a little shocking to be part of civilization insetead of just eating at our campsite. Today we went whale watching in this amazing spot where we got to see southern wright whales basically right in front of us. It was so excited they were jumping and splashing their tails!

Thats all for now but Ill try to send updates from CAPE TOWN!
Wish me luck on meeting my host family today
Love Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Lis this is Dad, good luck with the host family. mom and i have been listening to The Power of One taking in the fall colors. what a great story we're at the point where PK has won his first boxing match can,t wait to here more of the book. again good luck, be safe, love dad

Vivienne said...

Hey Lis!
Whales huh? That must have been amazing. I get all jolly over the seals at Cape Cod, oh and the Turtles at Akumal-- there's just something about the Ocean... I can't wait to hear about Cape Town and your homestay family. I talked to Bob yesterday and he just finished midterms as well. He is still doing lots of paddling and seems to like his classes this semester. Well I'm taking a quick break at school but I better get back to work. Take it all in and write when you can.
Love, Mom