18 hour plane ride. Enough said.
After that we arrived tired and jetlagged to our first hostel at rock and rope. There Gustav the owner took us to do a number of things. We all had an awesome time rockclimbing (for real!!!!) and everyone made it to the top of every climb they had no matter how fricken hard it was. We then went Mountain biking, which many of you are sure to know scares the living daylights out of me, but we got to see a really amazing beautiful waterfall. Now heres the cool part. The next day, we donned our harnesses and repelled 200 feet down that beautiful waterfall off the edge of a cliff. It was so amazing, you just use your hands to let you down and your dangling off of a rope in mid air! Crazy adrenaline rush. Every girl did it, and not without facing some fears of heights. It was so amazing, but i just looked at my brothers pictures from a huge waterfall he kayaked and I'm feeling a little insignificant, I was safe in a harness.....
So after our first two weeks and orientation and starting classes and getting to know the amazing new group, we headed off onto safari. We got our packs and loaded then into the big blue truck that is now our home for the rest of this semester. We went to kruegar national park and we saw Elephants and zebras, kudus and giraffes, hippos and crocodiles and most impressively a leopard! leopards are very rare to see in South Africa but we saw one up close. We also visited and animal rehabilitations center in Moholoholo outside of Kruegar and literally saw lions about 5 inches away. We aslo saw tons of other animals and learned about hot they help injured, tame or poisoned animals. I got to feed a vulture! a tid bit terrifying.
Today we are traveling on our huge blue truck to dundee, I have no idea what we are doing there, but we just said by to Genefre (the inventor of TTS) who was here for the first couple weeks. It was amazing to have her here and she will be missed!
keep in touch everybody
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey there!
I'm so glad you got internet access to tell it your own words-- my passing info along just doesn't do it justice. Still I wanted to let people know what you are up to until you could. Sounds amazing and I can't wait for more. Dad and I have been busy with the same old same old. We did get to sneak away to the Harvest Fest in Salem-- got some great corn and local cheeses (you would have loved that, ha ha). Take it all in and write when you can.
Love and Miss you a ton,
Mom
oh my god! how cool is all that? I would still be at the top of the waterfall to this day.
we are closing up at the lake this weekend, hoping that the sea wall will be attended to sometime this fall.
i'm doing some hiking in the mountains with my group and I will think of your adventures whenever it looks too steep. piece of cake!
I wear the volcanic rock pendant all the time. Miss you a whole bunch. Gmom
Post a Comment